Wednesday, December 10, 2008

E's 2 Year Check-Up and Baby Update!

Ethan had his 2 year check up with the pediatrician yesterday. He is 28 lbs 8 oz (50-75th percentile) and 36 inches on height (90th percentile). The dr. was happy with his weight (after his illness in September he had lost quite a bit of weight and had dropped below the 50th percentile)! We can now switch him to either 1% or 2% milk and he can have peanut butter and shellfish. A little concerned with his verbal delay, since he still doesn't call me "ma-ma", but calls me "dag-ma" instead. (Of course he talked more yesterday than he ever has, go figure!) The dr. said until he is 4 years old though (especially with boys) that there is nothing to be alarmed about, but if we did want a consult with a speech therapist that she would always give us one. Ethan is a motor driven child, always has been...why talk when you can do it! All in all he looks great and managed to sneak out of the office with only one vaccination and it ended up being the nasal flu vaccine. He won't have to return until his 3rd birthday!

We also chatted for awhile about the baby and the issue with the dilated kidney. The recommendation from the ped. is that I have a repeat ultrasound (whether it is the level 2 or a normal ultrasound) later in my pregnancy to see if it has resolved itself. I was told that it is probably nothing to be concerned with (85% resolve themselves and the babies are 100% normal), but if they know prior to birth that there is an issue with the kidney then Shands (UF) pediatric nephrology will be contacted immediately for advice. If it turns out to be serious they may recommend that I deliver at Shands, but said that is worse case scenario. The dr. said no matter what they find they will repeat an ultrasound on the baby's kidneys after he/she is born just due to the dilated kidney found on my 20 week ultrasound. Jake and I still need to talk about it a little more before my next appointment with the midwife, but I think we will go ahead with a regular ultrasound later in my pregnancy so Shands can be contact ASAP if it happens to be serious. I am a little concerned, but not worried or freaked out. I am at peace with whatever God brings to our family and know this little one is safe in his arms. Please continue to send prayers for this baby though that he/she doesn't have to go through lots of tests or be in pain!

No comments: