Anyone who truly knows me knows that one of the most difficult things in the world for me to do is to ask for help. Almost three months ago now God placed me in a situation where I had no choice, but to ask for help. Don't get me wrong I am still not great at asking, but I am definitely getting better about communicating my needs. The help we have been given is incredible and when I stop to think about all the wonderful things that people have done for us, it brings me tears of joy. Because of this help I have been able to take care of myself and Grant. I have had time to spend with Jake to work on finding a new "normal" for our family, our marriage, our lives. I have had time to grieve in my own way on my own terms.
Yesterday in the mail came my monthly MOPS magazine and in it was an article on how to help a friend in need. After everything that has happened it intrigued me, because sometimes I have a hard time putting into words just exactly what I "need". I thought I would share some of the things that were in the article.
* Be consistently and gently present. She may not know what she needs, but if you're in touch you'll find out. (A text message, phone call, email, card, etc. means so very much, it lets us know that someone is thinking of us and keeping us close to their heart.)
*Encourage her to share. A grieving friend will not be sadder if you talk about her loss.
*Depression requires patience and encouragement. Listen intently. Invite her for walks...out to coffee or a trip to the gym.
* Practical help is a lifesaver. Trusted child care, a meal- lightening her load might enable your friend to focus better.
*Be sensitive.
*Pray, pray, pray!
I hate asking for help, but know that I definitely still and always will from time to time need at least a little help because I am human. We have the greatest family and friends in the world, thank you all for walking along side of us...for your help, love, and prayers! I knew we were loved, but never realized just how much.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment