I was blessed to have a truly unique and very special relationship with my grandparents. Not only did we live in the same town, but they babysat for Mike and I when we were growing up. My grandmother passed away May 2001, just three weeks prior to our wedding. She was an incredible woman, wife, mother, grandmother!I miss her so much and think of her everyday! This month marked the three year anniversary since loosing my grandfather. I thought as time passed it would get easier, but it doesn't and for some reason I have found myself missing my grandpa more this month than ever. I miss his "whisker rubs", the smell of him, his hankies, him teasing me, etc. etc. He could make me laugh like no other person and brought so much joy to my life.
It is funny because in little ways my grandparents make their appearance still and let me know that they are never far from me. On January 11th (the anniversary of grandpa's death), I was having a hard day and in my own little world thinking of him while Ethan was eating. I all the sudden looked over and saw Ethan feeding Visken yogurt off of a spoon. (My grandpa frequently fed dogs from the spoon, much to the disgust of the rest of us.) When I asked Ethan what he was doing he turned looked at me and smiled with that "twinkle" in his eye, that same "twinkle" his great-grandpa always had in his eyes. I had to cry and smile at the same time....
I love and miss you so much grandpa!
No matter how much time you are given with those you love it is never enough, enjoy the moments God has given you...smile, laugh, have fun, seize the day because tomorrow may never come.
1 comment:
Like you, I also really miss your Grandpa! He was a man with a heart of gold. There wasn't anyone that he wouldn't help or for that matter, talk with. The last few years, he was as much support for me as I was for him. I miss his "Charlie stories", his calls, our visits, his sense of humor, going for Friday fish, Sunday dinners, our nightly visits, and his stories from Frontenac breakfasts.
There never is enough time and you are correct, we need to make the most of every moment with have with our loved ones. It's important to tell them that you love them whenever you can... for we never know what is in God's plan.
I often feel Grandpa and Grandma's presence with me and I am sure that they are with Michael and you and your families also.
Thank you for such a beautiful tribute to Grandpa.
I love you -- Mom
Post a Comment